Spine and Back Health

Neck pain caused by C4/C5, C5/C6 reduced disc

08/06/2008

Question:

I have been having neck pain for about a year. I can`t turn my head to the left very far and it hurts tilting my head to all sides. I previously saw my GP about the pain, about 8 months ago and he suggested some stretches, heat/cold, muscle relaxant (Flexeril) and pain killer (Lodine). I tried this for a few weeks and it didn`t seem to help.

I got a new pillow--a chiro-fill water pillow. This is very comfortable, but hasn`t made the pain any better. I went back to my GP today and they took a series of x-rays. The radiologist and doctor determined that the spaces between C4/C5 and C5/C6 are much smaller, almost missing, compared to the spaces between the other vertebrae. He said the pressure is probably affecting the nerves. He said that because I have had no trauma or accidents, this is probably due to my posture while using a computer. He gave me Lodine and Flexeril once again and wants me to do stretches and try to figure out the behavior that is causing the pain. If this doesn`t work within 6 weeks, he will send me to Physical therapy (PT) for traction. Does this sound like a good treatment plan or do you have any other suggestions?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms and provide you with a second opinion. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Non-Surgical Treatment of Spine and Back Conditions
Preventing Spine and Back Problems

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org