COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

How long do I probably have to live?

08/07/2008

Question:

In have had COPD for several years. First diagonesed in 1999. Quit smoking four years ago. This last year activies have become quite limiting. I now use oxygen most but not all of the day and during most of the night. At the 3 level on both concentrator and bottles. Sitting down, it is no problem. Doing walking outside, especially when it is hot (90`s) wipes me out!

Have Albuterol, Predinizone, and Advair. Tried Spriva last year but stopped it after a one day bout at the hospital. May or may not have been affected by Spireva. Quit just in case.

Still mentally okay; no feet swelling; low blood pressure; no diabetes (107); very frustrated and very depressed. Planning on giving up RV travel that we love and staying home.

Seeing my doctor next week again to see if he has any more magic tricks up his sleeve that we can try.

Appreciate any comments or suggestions on treatments.

Thanks,

Sam

Answer:

Without knowing specifics about your lung function, it would be hard for us to tell you how long you have to live. You should discuss this with your physician, and try not to get too depressed.

Exercise and pulmonary rehabilitation are beneficial to patients with COPD. There are surgical options (lung volume reduction and lung transplant) for selected patients; you can discuss this further with your physician to see whether you are eligible or not.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep