Mental Health

Switching from Lexapro to Remeron

08/12/2008

Question:

I suffer from anxiety/ocd/depression. I have been on Lexapro 10 MG for approximately 1 year. Recently I have had an increase in my anxiety levels and my doctor increased my Lexapro to 20 MG. That was one week ago. The side effects of the increase (vivid dreams/nightmares and lack of libido/erectile issues) were too much to handle. So we decided to switch to Remeron which has less side effects. My doctor says because both work on Serotonin i shouldn`t have any problem stoppping the Lexapro and starting the Remeron without any withdrawals from the Lexapro. Is this true? Should i expect withdrawal symptoms from stopping the Lexapro cold turkey?

Answer:

Your physician is likely to be correct, but I usually  consider a more conservative measure of tapering the Lexapro (possible over a week period)  while you initiate the Remeron if your clinical condition can allow for this slower process.  This decreases any potential difficulties.

Go to the Mental Health health topic, where you can:

Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP
Introductory Clinicxal Psychopharamcology
Advanced Clinical Psychopharmacology
Clinical Pharmacokinetics
Clinical Therapetics