Outer foot pain

08/11/2008

Question:

I sprained my ankle 10 months ago and took appropriate RICE measures. X-rays were negative. I still feel like someone hit the underside of my foot (1-2 inches below littlest toe) with a hammer. When I stand on my toes or sprint there is no pain. When I walk or jog I have a noticable dull, bruise-like pain. It`s been 10 months and I have rested it on and off forever. It doesnt swell after activity but just has lots of pain.

No pain in the toes, ankle, arch. Maybe I tore something between the connecting bones on my two outermost toes?

Answer:

Thank you for your question regarding continued pain in your foot after an ankle sprain. I noted in your question that you had x-rays taken that were negative for fracture. I presume that these x-ray's were taken at the time of the injury to the ankle. It is not uncommon for stress fractures to take up to two weeks to appear on x-ray and an addition study may be warranted in your case. The mechanism of injury may have also injured the entire outside of that foot including the 4th and 5th toe area. A clinical re-examination and possibly follow-up x-ray studies may be needed.

Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery