Lateral epicondyle

08/26/2008

Question:

I had pain, tenderness and swelling in my forearm. I went to my family doctor and he told me that I had damage the lateral epicondyle muscle. He never said any thing about tennis elbow or the tendon at all. But he did tell me to use the braces for tennis eblow to see if that would take some of the puressure off the muscle and go to physical therapy for ultra sound treatments. Is tennis elbow that only thing that affects the lateral epicondyle or could I have a torn mucle?

Answer:

The term "tennis elbow" is often used to refer to pain at the point of tendon attachment at the lateral (outer) elbow, but may also be used when there has been partial or complete tears of tendon or muscle fibers. Although the exact site of tissue injury for these possibilities is slightly different, the initial treatment is similar, with nonsurgical options such as the ones you mentioned tried first.

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation