High Blood Pressure

Low pulse rate and dizziness

11/17/2008

Question:

I am 52 yrs. old and in good health though a little over weight. I have suffered for most of my life with bouts of dizziness that no doctor has been able to figure out. A few years ago my husband got a blood pressure/pulse rate monitor because of his hypertension and when I have had dizzy times, like today, I use his monitor and found that my blood pressure is 92/71 but my pulse is 48. The lowest it has ever been is 43. A few years ago a cardiologist found nothing wrong with my heart so I know that isn`t it. I have loved salty foods all my life and wonder if the salt really effects my pulse rate, does it drop this low because I need more salt? Is that a ridiculous thought? I have been on Nutisystem for 3 weeks and the food is very healthy and low sodium. The dizziness in completly incapacitating.

Answer:

It is difficult to give specific advice without having all the data.  However, a few points can be made:

Low blood pressure and slow heart rate can be caused by low thyroid function (hypothyroidism), dysfunction of the nervous system, or a disturbance of your heart's pacemaker. You will need a work-up for these conditions if it has not been done

High salt intake should do you no harm, and may be beneficial. Midodrine is a drug that can raise blood pressure and heart rate.  In some cases, midodrine has helped relieve symptoms such as lightheadedness or dizziness. 

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Director of Hypertension Section