Complementary Medicine

Vitamins and Viactiv Calcium Chews

08/15/2008

Question:

Hi. I was wondering if you could tell me if it will do any harm if I take a "One-A-Day for Women" and "Viactiv Calcium Chews for Teens" simultaneously?

A One-A-Day Tablet contains: 450 mg (45% DV) Calcium, 25 mcg (31% DV) Vitamin K, and 800 IU (200% DV) Vitamin D.

One Viactiv Chew (package says can take up to 3 per day) contains: 500 mg (50% DV) Calcium, 40 mcg (50% DV) Vitamin K, and 200 IU (50% DV) Vitamin D.

I am a 21 year-old female. I am worried that I do not get enough Calcium and know that it is important to build good bone health in your twenties to prevent osteoporosis later on in life.

I do not drink milk at all. I try to eat one yogurt every day, but that does not always happen. I know that you can get small amounts of calcium when eating a healthy balanced diet, but as much as I`d love to say I do eat a health balanced diet, it does not always happen (college student). Also, I live in a cloudy climate and am not outside much.

If I take both the One-A-Day tablet and 1-2 Viactiv Chews each day, is this too much calcium? Is it too much Vitamin D? Could this be harmful? Thank you for your time!

Answer:

You should be fine since you need about 1500 mg of calcium daily and 2000 IU of Vitamin D per day per the NIH.

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP
Professor of Family Medicine