Lung Cancer

White spot on lung

four months ago a small white spot was found in my lung.Today it showed three times larger by ct scan.Approx the size of a match head.Waiting two weeks for insurance to become effective to do biopsy. The Dr can`t say what this is without biopsy.What are the chances of this being lung cancer. I carry the tb bug but Dr says this has nothing to do with tb.Your answer will be greatly appreciated(i think) Thanx

If it has tripled in size in four months it is probably not a cancer and most likely infection. You mentioned that the size of the spot is like a match stick head. Any shadow or mass less than 1cm is difficult to biopsy. If your doctor thinks that it can be biopsied then it will be a good idea to do it. Also, ask them to send the biopsy for culture to rule out infection in addition to pathology. I am not sure where the lesion is located, usually TB infections are in the upper parts of the lung. Depending on the location it may have a low or high likelihood of TB.

Thanks and hope it helps.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Shaheen  Islam, MD, MPH Shaheen Islam, MD, MPH
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep