Pain Management

Post Appendectomy Pain

08/25/2008

Question:

I had this surgery done just over a week ago and have been overdoing it (long walks with dog, sitting at computer for hours, recently started driving and today getting groceries). The reason for overdoing it is because people don`t think that I should need time to recover - a few days and I should be back to normal, even though my return to work is a full 2 weeks and the surgeon advised to not lift or carry anything over 2 liters or 5 pounds for the next 2 months.

The last couple days I get shots of pain in my incision areas - it lasts from minutes to hours. They only gave me enough pain medication for 3 or 4 days, so I am hoarding the last 4 or 5 pills. I just took two as I am in horrible pain - it feels as though my appendix was never removed plus the pain in my incisions.

Is it normal to have this pain? Could it be phantom pains? What should I do?

Answer:

This is still considered post-operation pain. Your surgeon needs to take a look at the incision ASAP.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Hammam  Akbik, MD, FIPP Hammam Akbik, MD, FIPP
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia