Addiction and Substance Abuse

Lipodrene safe for `addict`?

08/18/2008

Question:

My friend is a recovering addict of prescription drugs opiates and sedatives. she is now taking lipodrene. She says it just gives her the energy she didn`t have to take care of her kids. I want to know if this is risky for her or is it non addictive and somewhat safe?

Answer:

This is a difficult question to answer since on the surface it clearly is not a controlled substance and is not an opiate or sedative. Along with caffeine, other ingredients in this agent are in the family of stimulant medications (although much "weaker") thus I would be reluctant to categorize this agent as "safe" in someone with a history of substance abuse. There are various opinions, though, about how risky it might be.

Previous history might help with this question. I would recommend addressing this question to the outpatient treating chemical dependency physician who is monitoring the patient.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP
Introductory Clinicxal Psychopharamcology
Advanced Clinical Psychopharmacology
Clinical Pharmacokinetics
Clinical Therapetics