COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

COPD and my Mom

08/18/2008

Question:

My mom is 72. She has had COPD with emphysema for a long time. This last year she has been put on oxgen 24/7 at 3.5 and breathing treatments 4+ times a day.She gets really winded just getting up and going to the restroom.Afterwards she just collapes back into bed.I have had to take her to the ER because of the breathing a couple of times. Her pulse, blood pressure and that stuff is good. How long does all this last? At times she tells me she just wants to give up.I know she won`t get better.

Answer:

Without knowing more information regarding your mom's pulmonary function parameters, it would be hard for us to tell you her life expectancy. You should discuss this with her physician.  You should also discuss treatment options such as pulmonary rehabilitation.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep