Breast Cancer

Breast lump worries

08/26/2008

Question:

Hello! (again). I am 27 and a couple of months ago I noticed a lump in my breast. I went to a doctor a few days ago who insepected my breast and examined as well. The lump is hard, painless, mobile and 2cm by 2cm. He has scheduled me to have a mammogram and possibly an ultrasound/see a surgeon in 2 weeks. (After reading stories of young surviovors of breast cancer, I realize how very fortunate I am to have had a doctor to take this issue so very seriously). So now, I have a few more questions. I like to add a big THANK YOU for this website by the way. There is no other site I could find on the internet capable of easing ones mind while professionally answering questions. Back to the questions. I have read about Fibroadenomas (my doctor also said this was a possibility). Can they harbor cancer or become cancer? Is it safe to leave it alone if this is what is in my breast? Also, are all breas cancer lumps immobile? How often are cancerous lumps mobile? Im so sorry to have taken your time if I sound like a silly girl! This just has me so very nervous. Any response to my questions are GREATLY appreciated

Answer:

Breast masses in young women such as yourself are usually benign (either fibroadenomas or cysts).  It is possible for this mass to be a cancer, however, so you should get the recommended films and see the surgeon.

Fibroadenomas are benign and do not become cancer.  They do not go away on their own once you have one, however.  They can either stay the same size or enlarge with the hormones that cause you to have periods every month.  If this is a fibroadenoma, you can leave it alone or have it removed, whichever you are most comfortable with.

Most breast cancers are fixed and hard but a few will be mobile so be sure to get all of the tests that your doctor recommends.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Jean T Stevenson, MD, FACS Jean T Stevenson, MD, FACS
Associate Professor of Surgery