Red bumps on my tongue

09/03/2008

Question:

I have these red little bumps on the tip of my tongue that at first I thought came from eating too many sunflower seeds. It`s been a little over a week and they haven`t gone away. My tongue is now very sensitive to what i eat and it feels more like when you burn your tongue with something hot. I was wondering if there is anything to make then go away and if the seeds were the cause of it. (to much salt and all) I was researching online and I keep reading STD`s and fungus. I just want to make sure its none of that. Thanks!

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. From your description, it sounds like you may have a condition called 'Burning Mouth Syndrome'. For more information please refer to the NetWellness article on Burning Mouth Syndrome. If an oral and maxillofacial pathologist is available, he/she would be good choice for an evaluation and any additional recommendations regarding management.

The "red bumps" that you see probably represent what are known as "fungiform papillae". These are normal structures that actually contain taste receptors. They have probably been there for as long as you've had your tongue, but you didn't notice them until the burning sensation developed. It is highly unlikely that this is an STD or oral candidiasis ("fungus").

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology