My tongue

08/29/2008

Question:

I have all slits or grooves on my tongue. I can`t eat anything with acid because it will burn my tongue. Are these fissures. I have had them for about 3 years. How can I get rid of them.

Answer:

Yes, it sounds like you have developed a fissured tongue. This condition is fairly common and probably represents a variation of the normal arrangement of the upper surface tissues of the tongue. In most cases, tongue fissuring has no symptoms at all, but mild sensitivity to acidic or spicy foods has been reported.

While there is no way to get rid of the fissuring (short of a major surgical operation), many patients indicate that they can control the symptoms by routine washing (using a washcloth) or gentle brushing (using a soft toothbrush) of the tongue to remove cellular and food debris that can collect in the grooves.

Good luck!

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology