Lump at tip of tongue

08/26/2008

Question:

A white/pink lump has been at the tip of my tongue for about 3 years. It is not painful, but give the sensation when moving over my teeth that there residual food particles. Prior to the lump, I developed a small white tendon-like fiber (forked at its tip) extended from my tongue tip for about 1/3 cm. It went away, but ever since I have had the lump. It`s possible that I bit my tongue prior to all this (I do that occasionally.) What does this sound like to you? Thanks.

Answer:

The most likely diagnosis for what you describe is something called a fibroma or irritation fibroma. Essentially, this is a lump or mass of scar-like tissue that may have developed after you accidentally bit this area of the tongue.

Another possibility, given the sensations you describe, would be that some nerve fibers got caught up in the scar tissue. The term traumatic neuroma might apply in this case.

Either way, it does not sound serious but could be easily removed by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. This would decrease the chance that you might injure or bite this bump again as well as give you a final diagnosis.

Good luck!

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration