Gum Diseases

What is this fishing line in gums?

08/27/2008

Question:

I had two teeth removed on my lower front in June by an oral surgeon. Since then I have had problems with a fishing line like string between my teeth and gums. Also two strands between left and right sides of mouth of same material. I have been back to my oral surgeon twice and my dentist twice. It is invisible and they say there is nothing there. But I can take my tongue and lift up this string between the two missing teeth which pulls the string tight along all the gums. Can you help me?

Answer:

It sounds like you have bone resorption after tooth extraction (which is expected). The anatomical location is close to the floor of the mouth.  Thus, it sounds like there is a connection between the muscles connected to your tongue and your gum tissue at this extraction site. So, your gums are moving when you move your tongue. You are noticing this since it is a new thing, and you probably will get used to it with time.

Do you have a restoration for missing teeth? This may help you to stop playing with the site. I am just trying to hypothesize since two dentists could not see any left over sutures or materials at the site.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology