Diabetes

Side effects of metformin hydrochloride

08/25/2008

Question:

I am taking 1000 mg of metaformin hydrochloride once at night to control my newly detected diabetes. It has been very effective for me.

My question relates to a side effect of the medication, pretty consistent flatulence throughout the day. Is there a way to control this or should I be considering an alternate medication.

Answer:

Gastrointestinal side effects like that are common with metformin.  Sometimes they diminish with time.  Sometimes, they respond to one of several strategies:  choices include dividing it up into multiple dosage times per day and/or taking it with food.  I have had patients report more luck with those strategies for averting actual loose bowel movements rather than strictly flatulence, but they are worth a try.  You may also want to examine the composition of your diet for whether it includes foods that particularly contribute to flatulence as well.

Go to the Diabetes health topic, where you can:

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine