Rehabilitation

Fitness after 2 knee revisions

09/03/2008

Question:

After having revisions on both my knees, the last one being Feb. 2008, I am confused about the types of exercises I could do in order to improve my general health. I am 61yrs. old and have had a fusion done on two disc in my lower back. I would not want to do any type of exercises which would have an adverse affect on my knees or my back. I would like to begin walking for fitness again, but I don`t know how much is too much for my knees. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Answer:

Walking would be a good exercise. Start with something that seems easy and slowly work your way into a more intense routine. Grade how you are doing by watching your distance and time. Listen to your body. Fatigue is OK to push through but pain is not. Water aerobics and stationary biking are also good alternatives.

Go to the Rehabilitation health topic, where you can:

Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS
Sports Medicine Team Member
Clinical Instructor at The School of Allied Medical Professions