Amputation

Toe amputation

08/27/2008

Question:

First, a little background: I had to have all the toes on my left foot and three on my right foot amputated due to loss of circulation when I became deathly ill due to periotinitis. It will be two years this Spetember. I have terrible pain from my left foot, I get some reflief if it is kept in a house shoe or slipper, not tight but just firm. I want to know if I can get a prosthesis that kind of fits like an ankle sock with artificial toes is available.

Answer:

Yes, there are "partial foot prostheses" which have toes and which fit like a boot or slipper. If your left foot pain is brought on by attempts to walk, it is possible a prosthesis may lessen your pain... wearing a left partial foot prosthesis would not only redistribute forces on your left foot, but also potentially benefit your right side (due to more normal weight shifting to the opposite side), and vice versa. However, if your left foot pain is significantly bothersome regardless of position/activity, it is then less likely to significantly benefit from wearing a partial foot prosthesis on one or both sides.

I would advise you to consult with the surgeon who performed your amputation surgeries, with a physical medicine physician whose practice includes amputees, and/or with a prosthetist to determine the best solution in your case. 

Go to the Amputation health topic, where you can:

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation