Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


About Pregnancy



I did HSG last month then we found out that my right fallopian tube is blocked. I have pcod problems also and my right ovary is larger in size yet the left is smaller. My husband`s sperm counts are only 24. Is there any hope that we could get pregnant? We have been trying to concieve for the last two years.


In patients who have had proximal tubal blockage on HSG, it could be due to pathologic (tubal scarring) or non-pathologic (tubal spasm or mucus plug).  You can either have a tubal catherization (passing a catheter through the uterus and into the opening to the fallopian tube in order to open the tube) either surgically or in some centers, through the interventional radiology department. 

If the tube is blocked at the end (which usually produces a swollen tube called a hydrosalpinx), the chances for repair of the tube is very low. 

Another option for patients with tubal blockage would be in vitro fertilization (IVF) - a procedure in which your ovaries are stimulated with fertility medications to make extra eggs, with the eggs being removed from the ovaries and mixed with your husband's sperm; 2 embryos would be transferred into the uterus with any extra embryos frozen. 

I would suggest that you speak with your physician about these options.

For more information:

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati