Infertility

TB Of Uterus

09/12/2008

Question:

Hi Expert, My husband and I have been married for 2 years and have tried for pregnancy since last November, 2007. This resulted in a 6 week missed abort. Again in June 2008 we tried to conceive, could not be successful, doctor said eggs were not developed at that time. In the next month, July 2008, with help of some tablets to develop eggs, again I aborted just after 4 and half week, now doctor is suggesting a uterus Tuberculosis test. Do you think it is needed, and if test results are positive then is it curable? Please advice...

Answer:

Pelvic TB can cause uterine and tubal scarring.  This is unusual in the US, but more common in other countries such as India.  There are medications that can be used to treat the infection.  Surgery is sometimes required to cut scar tissue.  An easy way to evaluate the uterus and tubes would be a hysterosalpingogram or HSG.  This is an x-ray test in which dye is injected into the uterus; x-ray pictures are then taken which demonstrate whether the uterine cavity is normal, as well as whether the fallopian tubes are open. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD