Whenever I blow my nose, mucus comes out eye.

09/29/2008

Question:

For quite a while now (at least a couple years) whenever I blow my nose, even gently, mucus comes out my left eye. It`s always my left eye, and its most anytime I blow my nose, not just if I have a cold. I also get very random nosebleeds, mainly bleeding from the right side. Are these related, and should they be looked at, or am I just "weird"?

Answer:

The tear duct extends from the inner part of the eye to the lower part of the nose.  Therefore, if your tear duct is somewhat dilated, forceful blowing of your nose can push mucus up through the duct so that it appears at your eye.  This usually is not a serious problem. 

Nose bleeds usually occur from areas of crusting or dryness in the nose.  Your septum (which separates the two nostrils) may be crooked or deviated, and this will predispose to dryness.  This can often be controlled with an over the counter salt water spray to humidify the nose. 

I suggest you have these issues evaluated by an ENT physician.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy