Pharmacy and Medications

Alternatives to Cymbalta for Treating Depresssion

I tried Cymbalta which worked wonders for my anxiety and depression but it is not covered under my insurance. I can`t seem to find anything else that gives me the same help; I have tried Lexapro, Effexor, Zoloft. What might be more comparable to Cymbalta since it does not come in generic form? I have to pay for medications myself. Thanks.

There are many that believe that two antidepressants would be the next alternative given the previous response to Cymbalta. The first (and the most commonly used) would be a combination of sertraline + bupropion. Another, that would be a little more rigorous might be sertraline + a tricyclic antidepressant (desipramine). All of these agents are available in a generic formulation that should be less expensive, but also might be helpful. The risks and benefits should be discussed with your personal physician.

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP
Assistant Professor of Pharmacy
College of Pharmacy
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Emeritus