Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Mushroom allergy



i recently had an allergic reaction and had hives over various parts of my body which lasted about 3 days. i think the cause was a portobello mushroom. if so, does this mean i will develop an allergy to other mushrooms as well? i have eaten other mushrooms all my life with no reaction. i believe this is the first time i`ve had the portobello. is there a simple, safe test i can do at home to confirm my suspiscions? thank you.


You must first determine whether this was a specific sensitivity to mushroom. This can be done by skin and/or blood testing. You should consult an allergist for such tests.

For more information:

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Response by:

I Leonard Bernstein, MD I Leonard Bernstein, MD
Clinical Professor Emeritus
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati