Bed Wetting

10/10/2008

Question:

I am a 78 year old male who has never had a bed wetting problem. However, during this past two years I have wet the bad 3 times. I recently had prostate surgery. I thought this would this not two great of a problem. With two episodes of bed wetting befor the surgery and one episode post surgery I am concerned about my situation. Please advise.

Answer:

Bedwetting or incontinence during adulthood is also referred to as secondary nocturnal enuresis. The causes in adults are often related to prostate or bladder though sleep disorders, congestive heart failure, diabetes, urinary tract infections, nighttime seizures, depression, severe psychological stress, and dementia must also be considered as potential underlying causes. Of course, excessive intake of fluids or substances that promote urination (i.e. diuretic medications, caffeine, and alcohol) can also lead nighttime bedwetting.

In your case, more details would be needed to further understand your condition. It appears you have already undergone surgery for a prostate problem. Patients with enlargement in their prostate may suffer from urinary urgency that becomes particularly severe during sleep, and thus it’s possible that this may have contributed to the bedwetting prior to your surgery. After prostate resection, it is also quite common for patients to report urinary incontinence that may persist for some time.

I suggest that you discuss this with your Urologist as well as your Primary Care Physician. Your Urologist can tell if this may be related to your prostate problems and surgery. Other elements of your history can help to determine if further evaluation is needed, and your physicians should be able to help with this.

Rami N Khayat, MD Rami N Khayat, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep