Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


2 year post cervical fusion pain



I had c-2 thru c-7 fusion with instrumentaion in 9/06 & have never fully recovered. My neck & back pain is increasing & I have muscle spasms & intermittent numbness in my hands and feet. No longer have insurance so I can`t return to doc who did original surgery. A new neurosurgeon ordered a myelogram & CAT scan & said he would not recommend removal of hardware due to arthritis around one of the pins(?). Been to phys therapy numerous times & it doesn`t help. Most recent consult suggested seeing a rehabilitation doc. Why would that help if phys therapy didn`t? My quality of life at this point is awful and I need help but don`t know where to turn. Any ideas?


A rehab doctor would be a good person to see. That doctor should be able to give you a second opinion on your surgical options and if there is no surgical option, then he/she can give you more ways to cope with your symptoms. If you chose to try physical therapy again, look for a specialist in your area. Go to www.apta.org. There is a link on that page named "Find a PT" and you can sort the results for specialists. Look for an orthopedic or neurologic specialist. The therapist will have OCS or NCS after his/her name.

For more information:

Go to the Rehabilitation health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS
Sports Medicine Team Member
Clinical Instructor at The School of Allied Medical Professions
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University