Gynecology

Change of birth control

10/20/2008

Question:

I currently take Kariva as birht control I work for a Catholic hospital that does not pay for prescriptions money is getting tight and I saww that Wlamart and Target offer Tri-Sprintec 28 for $9 a motnh which is a $40 savings compared to Kariva can you tell me what the differences will be?

Answer:

First of all, every birth control pill has similar efficacy rates for what it is intended to do: prevent pregnancy. Most women have no problems switching from one pill to another. Pills are categorized by a few things. Monophasic (the same level of hormones in each pill) or Multiphasic (the amount changes every week to mimic a natural cycle). There are combination estrogen/progesterone containing types and progesterone only containing types. Lastly, for the estrogen containing types there are low dose and ultra-low dose pills. You are on a combination ultra-low dose monophasic pill. Tri-Spintec is a combination low-dose multiphasic pill. You will likely do just fine on this, but there is likely another combination ultra-low dose monophasic pill they provide just as inexpensively. If not, I would use an ultra-low dose multiphasic before a low-dose monophasic, you are less likely to have side-effects. Ask the pharmacist which pill would be the closest to what you are taking.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education