Breast Cancer

Help me understand my mammogram results

09/25/2008

Question:

I went for my first mammogram yesterday and the nurse called back today and told me they found bilateral calcification in both breasts. I need to go back tomorrow for a magnification mammogram and will find the results at that time. I`m 40yrs old and wondering if it`s common to show up in both breasts or if its something more to worry about.

Answer:

This is quite common and usually benign (not cancerous), so you should not be overly worried. The extra images will tell the radiologist how large the areas of calcium deposit are and establish their pattern. Some types need a biopsy, and some just need to be watched for change. There are standards for this that the radiologists follow. You can ask to speak with the radiologist after your films tomorrow, to get more information about what they are seeing on your tests.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Paula  Silverman, MD Paula Silverman, MD