Healthy Mouth, Healthy Kids

Late teething

My daughter is 16 months old and still has no teeth. She has had no health issues, other than a few colds and I`m still breastfeeding but only at night. She`s been walking since she was 10 months and has a handful of words now. You can see the teeth through the gums and she can chew food. I don`t know if I teethed late as unfortunately my Mother passed away and my Father can`t remember! I have asked the doctor and health visitors and they say not to worry but at what age should I start to as I don`t know of anyone else with such late teethers.

The timing of eruption of baby teeth varies tremendously. It is good that you can see her teeth under her gums, but she should be examined by a dentist who is experienced in treating children. It is unlikely that any treatment is indicated, but your child's dentist will be able to give you specific advice about her situation.

Go to the Healthy Mouth, Healthy Kids health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry