Colorectal Diseases

Rectal bleeding and cramps?

09/23/2008

Question:

I`m a 28 year old female in good health. This week I experienced rectal bleeding (blood in the toilet, had to use the toilet throughout the day to evacuate the blood) and severe abdominal cramping.

My PcP had basic bloodwork done on me and sent me for a CT scan. No amemia, and the CT revealed no thickening of the walls or growths.

Since that one day of constant bleeding, I`ve had thin flat stools - abnormal for me. I do have a history of cramping, bloating, and abdominal pain.

My PcP has dismissed the symptoms, especially since the bleeding stopped, and seems to think there is no problem. I still feel like crap, and I think there is something going on. I don`t want to be labeled a hypochondriac, but seeing blood seriously scared me.

Any suggestions as to what questions I should be asking my doctor would be wonderful. If there is any chance that we`re dealing with cancer, I don`t want these symptoms to be ignored.

Thank you!

Answer:

Blood work and CT scans are helpful, and it is good that they were normal. Since you continue to not feel well, call your local GI or colorectal physician to ask for an evaluation which may include endoscopy.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division