Thyroid Diseases

Thyroid Nodule

10/23/2008

Question:

They found "ahyperechoic solidmass nodule on my thyroid gland lobe. 1.8.x2.3x2.2cm." Took an uptake scan -- "thyroid lobe inferior pole cold nonfunctioning nodule." Took a biopsy exam -- "there is an adequate cellular specimen characterized by numerous groups of relatively unform appearing follicular cells. Neither colloid material nor pigmented macrophages are observd." Comment -- "The cytogic features are those of cellular follicular lesion. The differential diagnosis includes a hyerplastic adenomatoid (colloid) nodule and a follicular neoplasm (statistically most likely a follicular adenoma. The likelihood of malignancy is small." Diagnosis -- "Left thyroid lobe pattern suggestive of cellular follicular lesion SEE COMENT." I`m confused -- some comments says it`s cancer some say it not. Please, does it sound like cancer and what do I need to do? Just concerned.

Answer:

Small follicular lesions are most likely benign however the entire thyroid lobe is usually removed to prove this. The diagnosis of a follicular cancer usually requires examination of the the entire nodule to determine vessel or capsular invasion and it is usually easier and safer to remove the lobe (or half thyroid).

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Jeffrey J Sussman, MD Jeffrey J Sussman, MD
Associate Professor of Surgery, Chief, Division of Surgical Oncology