Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Enlarged uterus



What now? I was diagnosed with enlarged uterus / ovaries (each max). Path D&C - negative, CA-125 neg, some fibroids 2-3cm each, no other masses detected in uterus or ovaries. I had a myomectomy 10 yrs ago. Symptoms: consistent heavy bleeding with clots until 6 months ago. In the last months bleeding durations were in excess of 3-4 weeks each. Since cessation of bleeding 6 months ago, I have consistent abdominal pain, lower back pain, frequent urination without pain. I had my period for 1.5 days last month (minor bleeding and a clot). Painful sex.

My GYN wants to do a radical hysterectomy. Would this be a cancer preventive measure, considering there have been no positive results? Are there any other treatment options? Thanks lots!


A radical hysterectomy is only for early stage cervical cancer. I am not sure if your doctor misspoke or just used the term to mean removal of the uterus and ovaries. If your sx are from fibroids there are numerous options. You could use medicine to place you in a menopausal state that would cause the fibroids to shrink. There is also a way to cut off the blood supply to the fibroids which would also cause them to shrink. It is called uterine artery embolization. These are all options.

For more information:

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education
No longer associated