Sarcoidosis

Recurrence Of Sarcoidosis

09/24/2008

Question:

My wife is having a difficult time talking. She talks like she is straining her voice. She has seen a throat doctor. He tried different medications but nothing was helping. Years ago she had sarcoidosis. Could she have it again? Does that make your voice come and go?

Answer:

Dear Sir- Sarcoidosis can reactivate in a person who had inactive disease. It is difficult to predict how sarcoidosis will behave and it can be very different from one individual to the next. Occasionally sarcoidosis can affect the quality of the voice, and this should be considered in your wife's case. However, there are other, more common causes of loss of voice that should also be considered by your physicians. In my experience, an ear-nose and throat specialist is very helpful when the common causes leading to loss of voice have been considered. 

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine