Head and Neck Cancer

Lump on the head

10/09/2008

Question:

I do not think I have cancer. I hope I don`t, but I had no idea where to write this, so I`m sorry if this is not the correct place...

I`ve been having some really bad headaches for a while. They would tend to come after my vision got kind of blurry in my left eye and they would last for about 3 hours. This would happen almost every day. I also feel really stressed lately and just recently, about 3-4 days ago, I felt this little lump on the base of my head on the right. It is kind of hard and won`t move, but it`s making my skull around it sore and it has been driving me crazy and making me worried. It is tender and sore, and I feel it when I move my head to that side. It`s stopping me from sleeping.

I hope to God it`s not cancer or anything serious. Do you have any idea what this might be and if it`s serious?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. Any neck mass present for more than 2 weeks is considered abnormal and should be evaluated. You need a good head and neck evaluation, possibly a scan, and maybe even a biopsy. Make sure you see your physician.

Go to the Head and Neck Cancer health topic, where you can:

Cheryl  Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN Cheryl Koliha-Brandt, MSN, RN, CNS, CORLN
Clinical Nurse Specialist and Instructor of
Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology 
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing

Pierre  Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS Pierre Lavertu, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery