Myasthenia Gravis

Can previous sinus surgeries damage nerves?

09/29/2008

Question:

I was dx with MG about a year ago,I see double from the sides and frontally when I am tired. Mestinon doesn`t seem to help. Being Off of it though, (when I tried to see what would happen) seems to make the double vision worse. I have eye pain, under my eye and when moving it.Alot of headache stuff too focused in that area. I do have hx of migraines. I have a strong family hx of auto immune d/o`s so, I`m thinking the dx is probably right even though the tests weren`t conclusive. How can I be sure that it is MG and not a sinus related injury?

Answer:

Probably the best thing to do is to see a neurologist who specializes in myasthenia gravis . It is possible that your diplopia is a result of sinus disease. Of course, it will be important to make the distinction between the two processes. Sometimes it's difficult to diagnose myasthenia gravis. In that case it's best not to embark on dangerous treatments and rather have your case followed with a very experienced careful neurologist. Eventually, the disease will define itself. And if it is not MG, you wont have been exposed to potentially severe side effects, unnecessarily. Hope this helps.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology