Infertility

Removal of Cysts On The Ovaries

12/30/2008

Question:

Hi, I am just wondering if you can tell me if I can become pregnant after getting a cyst removed off of my ovary. I already have a daughter, she was born before the cyst was removed. My partner already has a child as well. It's been about 1 year since I had the operation and the surgeon said it all went well. We have been trying for about 8 months. Thanks very much.

Answer:

Ovarian cysts are very common. Each month one of the ovaries makes a "follicular cyst" approximately 1 inch in diameter that releases an egg. Cysts that get larger or cause pain are sometime removed surgically. In general, this type of surgery does not interfere with getting pregnant later. However, it depends on what kind of cyst it was and the presence of any other pelvic problems. You should discuss these concerns with your gynecologist who might want to perform some preliminary fertility tests on you and your husband.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology