Why are my root canals hurting now?

10/10/2008

Question:

I had a root canal on my lower right tooth one in from the last about two years ago with no further issues. Then about a year ago had really bad pain and thought it was that tooth. When i went into the dentist we found out it was the last tooth on that side and I then had a root canal on that tooth. Now it is about a year later and now I have severe pain in those two teeth. It started suddenly and there was no trauma to the teeth recently. It is painful to chew anything and even to close my teeth together. I thought they couldn`t hurt because they had no roots anymore. I was just in for my cleaning and xrays about two months ago and nothing seemed amiss. I am worried about what the dentist will need to do or what may be wrong to cause these problems now.

Answer:

If you are concerned about a tooth with a previous root canal treatment, I would recommend a consultation by an endodontist. Endodontists are dentists with additional education in diagnosis and root canal treatment. Because they limit their practices to endodontics, they treat these types of problems every day. They use their special training and experience in treating difficult cases.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics