Colon Cancer

Tubular adenoma colonoscopy

10/09/2008

Question:

I am a male, age 61, non-smoking but overweight, not obese though (6` 215) (weight going down down through diet and exercise). I had my first colonoscopy 2 weeks ago at age 61 - it was for a routine screening. I had no symptoms prior to or after the exam. One "small" polyp was found and removed. I was advised that these are typical colon polyps which do require periodic surveillance. It was recommended I have a follow up colonoscopy in five years. Before getting the written report the doctor said in the examination room she had found and removed a small polyp and that she "was not the least bit concerned with it". I thought if polyps were found that there should be a 1 or 2 year screening period -- Can you advise why 5 years was recommended?

Thank you

And a big thank you to my wife and 2 special friends for pushing me to finally have an exam ---- which was no big deal.

Answer:

Follow up depends on size, type and number of polyps as well as how good the quality of the prep was. For a single, small tubular adenoma, a 5 year interval is appropriate. It is only large polyps, where there are aggressive changes under the microscope, where early follow up is required.

Go to the Colon Cancer health topic, where you can:

Gregory S Cooper, MD Gregory S Cooper, MD