Athletic Training

Torn cartilage in knee

10/08/2008

Question:

I have rheumatoid arthritis and it has caused my foot to turn out. For a few months I have the feeling on the inside of my knee that something was pulling there. I just thought that it was where my foot was turned out. The past few days it is swollen where I feel the pulling and more pain. I still can walk on it. I had a torn cartlidge in my other knee years ago that required surgery. This knee feel this same as my other knee did when I had the torn cartlidge. So I don`t know if it is my RA, something torn like tendon where I felt the pulling or a torn cartlidge. Can you tell me what the sign and symptoms of a torn cartlidge is?

Answer:

It's hard to always categorize what typical symptoms are of any injury because each person reacts and responds differently. Your situation is compounded by the fact that you also have underlying RA which may be causing some of your symptoms.  Ligaments and cartilage can be responsible for your your pain and symptoms, but it is difficult to guess unless someone can actually evaluate your knee and try to determine the cause. 

My recommendation would be to follow up with your local health care provider since your pain and swelling are not resolving and may start to limit your functional activities. Hopefully, they can get you started on the road to recovery.  Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences