Numbness in both arms during sleep

10/10/2008

Question:

I am a 66 year old male, high BP 120/ 80 with medication. I get arm numbness during sleep, in both arms and have been dealing with this for years, at least 10. At the present it is interfering with my sleep, it wakes me up every couple of hours. I asked my GP a couple years ago, he didn`t think it was a big deal. I play golf 2 to 3 times a week. I am a side sleeper I remember my grandfather complaning about same thing. He was in his 80`s.

Answer:

Awakening from sleep with numbness in one or more extremities is unlikely to represent a primary sleep disorder, though this symptom may be the result of certain aspects of your sleep. The symptoms you describe, awakening with numbness in both arms, sound most consistent with a neurological or musculoskeletal problem.

There are a number of problems that can cause this type of symptom. The numbness could be the result of compressing nerve fibers in your neck, in an area known as the cervical spine. This type of problem can arise from arthritis or other bone abnormalities (such as degenerative disk disease or joint disease) or from scar tissue due to past trauma. These conditions can occur for a number of reasons with one of the more common settings being in people who work on computers for extended periods. Other possible causes of numbness in an extremity include compression of the nerves in the extremity (such as in carpal tunnel syndrome), diseases of the nerves themselves (such as in diabetic neuropathy) or impaired blood supply to the nerves of the extremities.

Based on the limited information you provided, it is hard to say which, if any of these, would be most likely to cause your problems. The fact that the symptoms occur upon awakening suggest that, perhaps, the position you sleep in could be contributing to your symptoms, though more information would be needed to help determine if this were the case.

To find out if you are suffering from one of the conditions mentioned above, you should seek a medical evaluation. It would probably be a good idea to discuss your symptoms with your primary care physician again. You may want to ask about obtaining a referral to a Neurologist. Additional testing may include X-rays, nerve conduction studies, or MRI. In the meantime, it might be worthwhile trying to sleep with your head on a more supportive pillow to see if that makes a difference.

If you would like further information regarding sleep or sleep disorders, I recommend you consider visiting the website of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. This website contains information about sleep disorders as well as lists Sleep Centers around the country. Also, the website sleepeducation.com has plenty of useful information about sleep and sleep disorders. Good luck!

Dennis   Auckley, MD Dennis Auckley, MD