3 year old has an infection, HELP!

10/15/2008

Question:

Yesterday i took my 3 year old daughter to the clinic for a stuffed up nose and she was weezing a bit, and had dry coughs. Turns out her and I both have infections but the doctor never told me what kind of infections, just that we were infected. He put her on Zithromax and i gave it to her like directed and everything was fine. At Midnight lastnight she was coughing really bad and weezing so i gave her some of her puffer ventalin (she had a viral chest infection a few weeks back and still required the puffers to clear out her system), about an hour after giving her the puffer i heard her coughing again so i got her out of bed and she immediately started talking up a storm. I felt her chest and it felt like her heart was going to jump right out of it. I dont know how to check bmp, but her heart felt like it was in overdrive and lasted this way for 2 hours before settling down enough for her to pass out. Could you tell me what had happened, if i should have taken her to the hospital for it or what. Im scared its going to happen again and i will again not know how to react to it.

Answer:

Some children, when given an inhaler such as ventolin, have their heart beat faster and can get somewhat hyperactive, which could be what you are describing.  This tends to be worsened if you are not using a spacer or she is inhaling too fast.  I would discuss your concerns with your daughter's primary care provider to get a more detailed and more medical history based information.

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine