Gum Diseases

Aching gums and the pain travels

10/06/2008

Question:

I have strong gum ache which starts in the lower right gum then moves to the upper gum then to the jaw bone (the one that connects to the the skull) and then eventually settles over my eye and feels like a migraine. The only way it calms down a bit is when I move my jaw and massage the right side of my face. The pain mainly happens at night or when I lie down, which means a lack of sleep for me. The first time I experienced this I was in a plane then it stopped for a while. Then it came back even worse. The weird thing is, when it does come back, it comes back when I menstruate. I had some fillings done a few weeks before it all started, so I want to know should I have them removed? Oh and inbetween the pain sessions I hear a little click in my left ear. I know all this sounds weird but which specialist should I go see? An endodontist? A periodontist?

Answer:

If the fillings are at the same site of the jaw, it may be that they were left high and your biting may need to be adjusted. Night symptoms may be related to bruxism at night. A night guard can help with that. I do not know if it can be related to menstruation; however, generally stress levels are higher during that time, and you may be bruxing your teeth harder.

The first thing to do is visit your dentist to check the fillings. If the pain continues despite adjustment and a night guard, go see a periodontist, oral surgeon or an oral pathologist.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology