Infertility

Infertility

10/14/2008

Question:

I`ve been trying to get pregnant for one and a half years but I haven`t been able to. How do I know that I am able to conceive? Sometimes I feel some of the symptoms of a pregnancy but i take a pregnancy test and it comes out negative.. I am also worried because I haven`t had my period for almost 10 months and I don`t know why? If you can please help me about not getting pregnant or my irregular periods, that would be so helpful.

Answer:

If you had your last period in November of 2007, it is likely that you are not regularly ovulating (making an egg).  You should have blood testing performed, including a TSH level (to test for thyroid function) and another hormone called prolactin.  If you have hair growth on your face, chest, back, or abdomen, you may have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). 

Usually, treatment is simple and consists of taking a fertility pill to get you to ovulate.  Prior to treatment, your husband should have a semen analysis, and you should consider having a dye test to see if your tubes are open.  This will help to rule out any potential complications that could have occurred from your abortion.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD