Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Spine and Back Health

Spine injury treament



I am 25 yrs female suffered spinal injury in Apr 2003 in a fall from 4th floor where my D4 vertebraae got crushed rendering me paraplegic with no sensation in bladder and lower limbs that is below stomach. I have heard stem cells treatment in this area has had some success. Can you guide me on the facts and whether I may be treated to walk normally in future?


Hello, thank you for your question. I'm not a particular expert in this area of spinal cord injury research, but I know that a lot of experimental protocols are being investigated. Right now there are several trials underway in other countries, and a lot of research being done here in the US. Of course, stem cell research is a very hot topic right now, and you can find a lot of information online about it. Many groups and organizations can supply you with information about it, but the place to start is with the NINDS Spinal Cord Injury Information Page. The NINDS is the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke; it is the part of the NIH (National Institutes of Health) that deals with the nervous system, and if you go to this link you'll find all kinds of reliable information. Good luck.

For more information:

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University