Myasthenia Gravis

Chewing & swallowing problems with MG victim

10/27/2008

Question:

I have been diagnosed with MG since June, 2008, and I am under the care of a neurologist. I take 3 time release pills of pyrido stigmine (180 mg) daily and fill in with a 60 mg tablet as needed as governed by eye droop. Since I retire early my fdirst time release pill is at 5 am followed bvy one at 1 pm and tyhe last at 9 pm. I am able to eat my breakfast quite successfully at 8 am. I usually fill in with 60 mg stigmine at 10 am but by lunch time, 12:30, I find that chewing/swallowing is quite difdficult. The evening meal at 5:30 pm usually goes well. Are there any suggestions for improving my success at lunchtime?

Answer:

I am sorry but I really must refrain from giving specific dosing advice when I am not directly providing care. It is very important that you work carefully with your treating neurologist, explaining the timing of your symptoms, how you are taking your medication and how satisfied/unsatisfied you are. There is really no substitute. If you are not satisfied with your neurologist, you may wish to check with the MDA web page. MDA clinics are found throughout the US. These clinics are usually staffed by neurologists who have special training to treat myasthenia gravis and other neuromuscular conditions. Best of luck.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology