Vitamin A

11/07/2008

Question:

When my son was a baby it was hard for him to keep down any formula as i was unable to breastfeed. I finally found one he didn`t throw up the whole bottle after eating but about 1/2 instead. His pediatrician told me to start putting cereal in his bottle when he was 2 months old. I did so and he did better. It was when i started to feed him solid foods that i realized he was allergic to all orange vegtables ( about 4 mths old). As i introduced new foods- realized more allergic reactions to others that had anything over 10% vitamin A in them, anything with vitamin A palmitate, carrots, any other orange veggies, and beta carotene. He is going to be 2 in december and has still not outgrown this. I realize now that he was probably allergic to the formula. I know his allergy, and the doctors wont do anything about this saying he will grow out of this. He has not yet and anytime he has anything with any kind of vitamin A in it- he will get very sick. Throwing up- hives (sometimes even at the 10% level), fever, diareha, and sometimes lethargic. This usually will last for about 3 days if I decide to see if he has outgrown the allergy (every 6 mths or so). I do not like making him sick and am affraid of greater consequences with trying him on these foods again. What are my options and can you tell me what causes this? I can find almost no information on this as I have been researching this for 1 1/2 yrs now. Most doctors don`t know much about this either. Can their be other underlying issues causing this. Please help!

Answer:

Thank you for your question regarding allergies. I would recommend you have a consultation with an allergist to discuss your very specific concerns.  While food allergies are real and occur at high rates, the allergy you are speaking of would be very rare.  I in fact found very little high quality literature about this specific subject and I believe you need more specialized discussion with an allergist.

Allison A Macerollo, MD Allison A Macerollo, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine