Does violence in the media affect children?

10/27/2008

Question:

HI, For my senior research project i am researching whether or not violence in the media affects children. I would greatly apprecitae it if you would answer a few questions for me.

1. How do you feel about the media and itss affect on children? 2. In your opinion how much of the media should pertain to children? 3. How much media should children take in on a daily basis? 4. What specific effects have you noticed that the media has on children?

Thanks So Much!!

Answer:

Thank you very much for the question.  Certainly, exposure to media violence has been linked to behavioral problems in childhood and adolescence. The American Academy of Pediatrics has releases several policy statements reviewing the evidence and making recommendations on this issue.  I have attached a link to their website. Here are some recommendations:

1.  Limit screen time (computer, TV, DVD) to 1-2 hours per day.

2.  Utilize the TV rating system.

3.  Watch TV with your children and discuss the programs.

4.  Help children avoid the 'lure' of commercials.

I hope this is helpful.

AAP Policy Statement on Media Violence and Children

Stephen E Wilson, MD, MSc Stephen E Wilson, MD, MSc
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine