Depression

Mixing Medications

10/17/2008

Question:

Hello there. I have been taking multiple depression and anxiety medications for years now. I`m 27 now and I started at 20. I am trying so hard to wean myself off of Cymbalta, but it has been horrible. Withdrawals side effects.... Just horrible! Anyway I wanted to list off the medications I am taking now, and hopefully get feedback from you. Will these medications affect my physical body in the feature? Okay here goes....Cybalta (weaning off), Welbutrin 450mg, Lamictal 200mg, Xanax when needed. Accurane 40mg for acne. Norco or Hydracodien once a day for pain, and ambien 10 mg for sleep. Are these dangers to themselves?

Answer:

Chronic depression is a very difficult disorder to treat. Frequently it requires multiple medication to control the symptoms. Although Cymbalta is an excellent antidepressant a discontinuation syndrome is unfortunately a challenging problem if you need to stop this medication. It is possible that you should continue on long term use of Cymbalta if it has been helpful or side effects are minimal. If you must discontinue it, it can be a slow process.

Your multiple drug regimen may be required so I would recommend making sure that all medication that you are taking is documented and given to all of your physicians to minimize any potential difficulties.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP
Assistant Professor of Pharmacy
College of Pharmacy
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Emeritus