Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Thighs covered with bruises

10/16/2008

Question:

I am 21 years old, 5`2", 120 lb. I have always had large thighs for my size. I have been getting the depo shot since I was 16. I do not take NSAID`s often. I have been taking acetaminophen fairly often since I was 10 for severe neck and shoulder pain with headaches. I have always had leg pain. When I was a teenager my doctor said it was "charlie horses".

Now the problem. Over the past month I have had SEVERAL bruises (at least 100) on my legs. First it was mostly on the right leg. Now it is mostly on the left. My doctor says I`m probably bumping my legs and don`t know it. This is DEFINITELY not it.

I had some blood tests done shortly after this started. (CBC, Iron Serum, Magnesium, Potassium) Blood tests revealed low normal B12 and I am taking a sublingual B12 with breakfast. My iron serum was 10 points too high, for which I have cut back my iron intake a bit (from 70% DV to 40% DV). All else was normal, aside from one of the Hemoglobin levels which my doctor said was due to my B12 being a bit low.

I am very worried. Please help. I do not have money or insurance to see another doctor.

Thank-you for your time. Thank-you for reading. Thank-you for your concern. Thank-you for your help!!!!

Answer:

Increased bruising can be a sign of a problem with your platelets or it could be normal for you. Unfortuately, the evaluation requires a doctor to do several blood tests that are expensive.

Free or Low Cost Health Coverage (Foundation for Health Coverage Education)
Medical and Dental Care without Insurance

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Eric H Kraut, MD Eric H Kraut, MD
Professor of Hematology