Kidney Pain After Urinating

10/22/2008

Question:

I have a history of kidney stones. I have had two in the last six years. I am experiencing a dull pain in my kidney after I urinate and have recently been experiencing cold sweats and below normal temperatures. I had a UTI about a month ago and received antibotics for that. My urine has a medium yellow color to it. The doctor did tell me at the time of the UTI that there was a lot of blood in my urine. Please advise.

Answer:

It is difficult to tell exactly what is going on from the information that you give.  Is the pain that you experience truly in your kidney, or is it in the lower part of your abdomen or in the small of your back?  A bladder (not kidney) infection may produce pain in either of those locations.  Burning on urination may be another clue that you still have an infection. 

I would check with your doctor and see what he thinks should be done about the blood.  For instance, some sort of imaging study (such as an ultrasound) could provide information as to whether you have any stones in either kidney that might be causing irritation and microscopic amounts of blood in the urine.  If you have had a UTI, it is possible that the stones themselves are harboring bacteria and causing the infection; again, this may be detectable by an imaging study. 

Mildred   Lam, MD Mildred Lam, MD